Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Streetcar Named Desire

I found this reading to be very uninteresting and boring. Nothing really happened. Blanch comes to visit her sister Stella. Stella's husband is messed up in the head. When he's drunk he hits Stella in front of everybody. I think that that's pretty messed up. Also we find out that Stella is having a baby.
Blanche tells Stella that her husband is an animal for hitting her. Stella tells her husband that if he hits her again she will call the cops. During the story Blanche flirts with a lot of guys. One is Jim who plays cards with the guys. She also flirts with a young man who comes to the door. I guess that's part of her character. A quote from the story is, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like a young Prince out of the Arabian nights?" I think this is very weird what she says. She also kisses him. That's weird to just kiss a person you don't know.
I really found the reading to be very boring and waste of time.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Well, I see that you really did not enjoy this reading one bit. My main problem with " A Streetcar Named Desire" was that it was a play. It is very hard for one person to sit there alone and read a play. I think that this keeps the reader from truly experiencing what is going on. Tennessee Williams had wanted us to read it as a story, chances are he would have written it as one. I think that there was a lot of stuff going on in the reading, some of it was just a little hard to catch. Maybe watching the movie in class on Friday will make it all seem better for you, I have a feeling that it will for me.

elphingirl said...

I can't say that I agree with you on the fact that this play is boring and uniteresting. What this play is trying to get at is the hidden class issues that seperate Blanche from Stanley. you can see that both Blanche and Stella were of an upper class while stanley was that of an immigrant family.

andrea said...

I liked the play, i was only dissapointed with the end. such a climax through the whole story and then she gets raped, and its over. i think it makes a real statement about the old south being officially gone. i did think it was intresting the struggle that was portrayed between stanley and blanch for stella. battle between the old south, blanch, and the new south Stanley. and in the end the new south wins, offering with it indsutrialization and a new way of life. Even if you arent happy in the new south convince yourself that you are.

Anonymous said...

Well i have to disagree with you on this one. I really enjoyed the play and i thought it was one of the best pieces we've read so far this semester. I think taht it was harder to read because it was a play but i think that the idea of the play was to show how times were changing and two sisters were united during this. Stella and Stanley were two great charachters. I think Stanley brings the play together though in the fact that he really puts Blanche in her spot of where she stands in their household. Hopefully you will enjoy the movie more.