Sunday, February 25, 2007

Barn Burning

In the story Barn Burning the father goes around town to town and burns barns. He drags the kid in with him too which is wrong. The kid knows that it's wrong and doesn't want a part of it but doesn't know how to tell his father no. He's faced with a conflict. Either he can turn his father in or continue letting his father keep burning the barns. It's a tough decision but if I was in his shoes, I would know that my father is scum and would turn him in.
Abner Snopes, the father, is just a bad spirited person. He has a lot of anger built up inside of him and feels that everybody's out to get him. An example of a bad thing that he does is that he wipes his dirty feet on the governor's rug. It's to show him that he doesn't support his gov't. The family is part of the lower class and are white trash. That's why Abner Snopes has to resort to bad things because he feels so low about himself. He also sees himself as better than black people because they are the discriminated race and that's what he does to feel better about himself. He says that he's at least not black. It's just such stupid thinking.
I'm very glad that in the end Sarty runs away and doesn't join his father and his father gets shot.It's good because his father got what he deserved. Sarty kind of becomes a man when his dad dies because he's on his own and is in control of the family.

3 comments:

Taysha said...

Yes that is very true he wipes his feet on the governers rug as a sighn of disrespect. He is a white man of lower class and you have a point I think he is so frustrated with the fact that he is from a lower class and is considered white trash that he is frustrated and burning barns is his way of letting his anger out. I to would have told on my dad because even though hes my dad he is doing something wrong.

ShanM125 said...

Putting myself in Sarty's position, I don't know what I would have done. Although his father was doing terrible things to other people's property, Sarty had a hard time turning against him. How do you go against someone who provides for you? Although the Snopes were poor, I think Abner did provide for his family, even if it wasn't materialistic. Abner was devoted to protecting the family name. I think if Sarty had followed in his father's footsteps and had found himself in trouble, Abner would have been there to stand up for Sarty.

I think Sarty is a better man for choosing to turn his father in. His father had a major ego and Sarty did not. This surprises me because most people who have egos, usually have children with even bigger egos.

Anonymous said...

So first of all here's the thing. I really liked this story and the kind of reasoning behind it. I mean there is this father who thinks that he kind of runs the show and is better than everybody but when he knows deep down under he's rated really with black people. He treats his family bad and really is a bad person.But i do like the conflict in the story between the dad and son. I think it adds a little bit of suspense to know that the son will revel sooner or later and finally he does.